A Short Course:
The Performance of Improv Comedy
A Short Course In Short Form Improv:
It's all about Scenes:
Conflict (a goal thwarted) is the motor of a scene.
- Man vs man, man vs environment, man vs himself.
Scenes have a who, where, when.
- Where, When are defined by actions.
- Characters are defined by relationships/attitudes more than by attributes.
Scenes are built one line/action at a time.
- Trust, Give, and Take.
- Build as you go, don't try to scriptwrite, control, or lead.
- Always move forward.
- Don't argue back and forth.
- Don't Negate -- accept offers and build.
- Beware questions.
Advice to the Players:
Make the interesting choice.
The actor's job is justification.
Find the game.
Torturing the actor/pimping/denial.
The "Funny" suggestion.
Current events, local names, and pop culture personalities.
Stuff that's funny:
And most of all: Honesty (recognition: the ah-ha ha-ha.)
Copyright (c) 2005-2010 by Robert Hugh Brown
All Rights Reserved.
About This Site